Wednesday 9 November 2016

Cape Brandy Pudding with bitter Orange sauce by Brett Pistorius.


Always a favourite of South Africans worldwide, the Cape brandy pudding is also known as tipsy tart or tipsy pudding. It can be served hot or cold and normally with Lashings of cream, ice cream or even an orange sauce.

 In this recipe i have used pecan nuts, traditionally walnuts are normally be used because of his dry bitter flavour- this helps compliment the brandy and the fruitiness of the pudding. 
Pecan nuts however are cheaper, and also offer the dry bitterness flavours - so it’s an ideal substitute.

When is trying to explain a Cape brandy pudding to someone, that has never tried one, I’d probably hint to it’s similarities a sticky toffee pudding - but with a bit of a kick.



Makes 9-10 individual 70mm x3.5mm desserts ring portions


Ingredients:

140g Chopped dates
250ml Water
1tsp Bicarbonate of soda
150g Treacle syrup
125g Butter
2 Eggs
2g Salt
5g Baking powder
210g Plain flour
5g Vanilla extract
100g Chopped walnuts

500ml Simple stock syrup
150ml Brandy


Method:

* Add the chopped dates, water and bicarbonate of soda to a medium sauce pan, and bring it all to a boil. Allow the contents to boil for 3 minutes before switching off the heat, and then allow it all to cool.
* Add Brandy to a simple stock syrup.
* Place the treacle, and butter to a mixing bowl, and using a paddle attachment for the mixer, cream the treacle and butter until pale and light.
* Scrape down the sides and add in the flour, salt, eggs, vanilla, chopped walnuts, baking powder, and all the contents of the cooled date mixture.
* Mix all the ingredients together, and pipe the mixture evenly between all the greased dessert rings.
* Bake at 160 Deg C for about 17 minutes or until cooked (dependant on your oven).
* Remove the puddings whilst still hot and plunge them into the brandy stock syrup for about 10 seconds each, then allow to drip dry over a wire rack.
* When cooled, keep in a fridge, or until needed. I tend to microwave them during service times for between 30-45 seconds to re-heat them, and I serve it with a whole orange sauce and some scrummy vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

About Me

My photo
The Pastry king was started in 2009 when I wanted to showcase my skills, & a personal résumé portfolio. The credit crunch really resulted in founding a business, The Pastry King, the name became about, because of circumstances during the time. It was when deciding on this very blogging handle; did I think of one particular pastry chef, the person I most admired & wanted to learn from. To me, he is a Pastry King – so it was from there it came really. The Pastry King grew, people showed they wanted a bespoke service even in a credit crunch. The early days I made chocolates, & cakes. I involved myself in consultancy roles and training jobs. I helped businesses developed recipes and so much more. At one time I was developing my range of chocolate spreads, & award winning truffle selection, packaged to be shelf ready for retailers to sell from their store shelves. Several years back I decided to close up shop, really due to a job vacancy I took post of. One, which I could not & therefore did not refuse. Over the past few years, I have really enjoyed to still be doing what I love doing, & since become a father to one lovely little boy. I consider myself to be very lucky.