Monday 30 May 2016

French Butter Cream

One of the most used butter creams in my recipe file, it draws  inspiration from a French Crème au Beurre, where the eggs, made into a pâte à bombe, enrich its velvety texture, flavour and give it a natural yellow colour.

It’s nowhere near as sweet as the English versions we’re used to. Also, I can’t stand the whole icing sugar texture on my teeth, reminds me of the time when I got beach sand in my mouth and I bit down... yuk, I can just about sense the grinding sound just thinking of it.

A Crème au beurre has many uses, from filling gateaux, covering cakes, tothe topping of cup cakes. It’s versatility comes from its ability to take on flavour and liquids easily, like if you wanted to change a vanilla one to a coffee one, it’s as simple as just adding in a couple of shots espresso, and if your wish was for a fruit version-just add in some puree to taste.

It takes a little bit of planning and a few more pieces of equipment compared to its English cousins. To make this recipe, things like a temperature probe are essential, because the correct temperature is key to cooking out any potential nasties in the eggs. It also ensures that the correct temperature of the sugar is reached before adding to the eggs, which will result in the lowest amount of water being left in the mixture so that the final product isn't too wet or runny.
It is also definitely not suitable for children to make, so adults please make sure you take precautions when making it as no one wants to get burnt.

Ingredients
* 3 whole eggs
* 325g caster sugar
* 60g water
* 500g Unsalted butter
* 1 vanilla pod

- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl, then attach it to your stand mixer and using the whisk attachment switch the mixer on to a medium – high speed to whisk the eggs
- Leave the eggs whisking
- Into a small sauce pan, add in the caster sugar and water, give it a stir before placing it over a medium- high heat.
- Boil the sugar until it reaches 121 deg C on your sugar thermometer.
- Cube your butter whilst waiting
- When your sugar has reached 121 Deg C, remove the pan from the heat, and slowly pour the hot sugar down the side of the bowl of whisking eggs (being careful not to add it too fast, and not pouring it onto the spinning whisk causing the hot sugar to spray out)
- When all the hot sugar has been poured over the whisking eggs, continue to whisk the mixture until the heat cools to where you can comfortably hold the base of the bowl.
- Slowly start adding the cubed butter. Also add the scrapings of the vanilla pod.
- You will see the mixture start to emulsify and thicken, if for some reason the mixture splits and doesn’t look thickened, do these to rectify it.

- Your mixture was either too hot or too cold when you were adding the butter, so try whisking it a little longer to see if it thickens...
- Or if it was too cold, and the mixture isn’t smooth, use a blow torch on the sides of the bowl being careful not to use it too long in one place and burning the mix inside. This will melt the butter slightly and get the mixture re-emulsified.

- Place into a piping bag and use for what you wish



Raspberry butter cream, where 150g of raspberry puree was added to this recipe.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

About Me

My photo
The Pastry king was started in 2009 when I wanted to showcase my skills, & a personal résumé portfolio. The credit crunch really resulted in founding a business, The Pastry King, the name became about, because of circumstances during the time. It was when deciding on this very blogging handle; did I think of one particular pastry chef, the person I most admired & wanted to learn from. To me, he is a Pastry King – so it was from there it came really. The Pastry King grew, people showed they wanted a bespoke service even in a credit crunch. The early days I made chocolates, & cakes. I involved myself in consultancy roles and training jobs. I helped businesses developed recipes and so much more. At one time I was developing my range of chocolate spreads, & award winning truffle selection, packaged to be shelf ready for retailers to sell from their store shelves. Several years back I decided to close up shop, really due to a job vacancy I took post of. One, which I could not & therefore did not refuse. Over the past few years, I have really enjoyed to still be doing what I love doing, & since become a father to one lovely little boy. I consider myself to be very lucky.